WOCI Atlanta Collaborative in Higher Education is a city-wide strategic partnership between the Center for Women at Emory, Office of Minority Educational Development (OMED) at Georgia Tech, Spelman College Women's Research and Resource Center (WRRC), STEM Atlanta Women, Inc, and Women’s Resource Center at Georgia Tech.
Our aim is to develop a multi-dimensional network committed to enhancing the advancement of women in industry, research, and higher education through advocacy, accountability, cultural awareness, leadership development, recognition, cultivation of productivity spaces, and strategic collaboration.
In 2020, the WOCI Atlanta Collaborative launched the first WOC Awards celebration, with Keynote Speaker Ashaki Wilham,director of Flavor Systems, the Coca-Cola Company. With a large cross-sectional gathering, we recognized the significant contributions of women of color, we participated in deep dialogue through breakout sessions, and we honored a slate of honorees selected by a diverse nomination committee.
View the 2020 Award Celebration here: https://youtu.be/xL8EBVltC0M
In 2021, the WOCI Atlanta Collaborative launched the first in person WOC Awards celebration, with Keynote Speaker Dr. Beverly Guy- Sheftall, founding director of the Women’s Research and Resource Center and Anna Julia Cooper Professor of Women’s Studies at Spelman College.
Read the 2021 Award Celebration news story
The 2022 WOC Award Celebration was an inspiring gathering featuring welcome remarks from Dr. Kaye Husbands Fealing, Dean of the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts at Georgia Tech, along with a keynote conversation between Nicole Keaton Hart, Principal Product Manager, Microsoft, Dr. Carol Henderson, Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion, Emory University, and Valarie Mackey, President & CEO, WrightNow Solutions. Atlanta pre-professional dance company, Price Performing Arts Center, rendered two performances. DJ BombJalaam engaged the crowd with are artistic vocal and DJ services.
- 2020 -2022 Awardees:
- 2022 WOCI Outstanding Undergraduate Student Impact Award- Attallah Smith
- 2022 WOCI Outstanding Atlanta Faculty Impact Award-Dr. A. Nayena Blankson
- 2022 WOCI Outstanding Atlanta Staff Impact Award-Dr. Yolanda Hood
- 2022 WOCI Outstanding Atlanta Community Leader Impact Award-Jaycee Holmes
- 2022 WOCI Outstanding Industry Impact Award Winner-Dr. Brittny James
- 2021 Women of Color Initiative Outstanding Student Impact Award-Maya Kelly
- 2021 Women of Color Initiative Industry Impact Award- Kaylyn Crawford
- 2021 Women of Color Initiative Outstanding University Faculty Award- Kaye Husbands Fealing, Ph.D.
- 2021 Women of Color Initiative Outstanding University Staff Impact Award- Shardonay Blueford
- 2021 Women of Color Initiative Outstanding Community Leader Impact Award - LaShaun Solomon
- 2020 Student Impact Award - Nettie Brown, 3rd year PhD student in the Biomedical Engineering program at Georgia Tech , a dual program with Emory University.
- 2020 Staff Impact Award - Joyce Davis, director of marketing and communications at Spelman College.
- 2020 Faculty Impact Award - Dr. Carol Henderson, first vice provost for diversity and inclusion/chief diversity officer at Emory University.
- 2020 Industry and Community Impact Award - Davietta Jenkins Knight, P.E., Atlanta Office Lead RS&H
- 2020 Student Group Impact Award - Alexis Parker, Erin Ojeda, Ireland Battle and Alondra Stafford, Spelman College AI (Artificial Intelligence) undergraduate students.
WOCI past awrdees