The 10th Annual Diversity Symposium theme is “Building Inclusive Communities: The Path Forward – Together.” Faculty, staff, and students, as well as a unit (e.g., office, department, school, or lab), who advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Georgia Tech community will be recognized at the Diversity Symposium Awards Luncheon on September 5, 2018.
Recipients of Diversity Champion Awards will have demonstrated one or more of the following within the last 10 years:
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Leadership in building an inclusive campus community and advancing a culture of inclusive excellence.
- Organized, conducted, and/or supported programs, events, and activities that promote cross-cultural understanding, respect, and inclusion of diverse individuals and groups.
All full-time faculty, staff, students, and organizational units are eligible for this award – except previous recipients of Diversity Champion Awards and Gender Equity Champion Awards.
Nominations, including previous nominees and self-nominations, may be made by all full-time Georgia Tech faculty, staff, or students for any award category.
Nominations will be accepted until June 1, 2018. Nominators should inform nominees that their names have been put forward for consideration.
The Diversity Champion Awards will be presented at the 10th Annual Diversity Symposium Awards Luncheon on September 5, 2018 at the Georgia Tech Hotel Ballroom.
From 2013 to 2015 and 2017, the Diversity Champion Awards recognized faculty, staff, students, and units who actively demonstrated and positively promoted the concepts of diversity, equity, and inclusion at Tech.
In 2016, the Gender Equity Champion Awards were created to serve the same function in recognizing efforts in support of gender diversity, equity, and inclusion — in conjunction with the Eighth Annual Diversity Symposium theme, “Celebrating Women at Georgia Tech.”
Each year, award winners are recognized at the Diversity Symposium Awards Luncheon. They have included:
- Faculty: Katherine Fu
- Staff: LaJauna Ellis
- Student: William Harrer
- Unit: MBA Programs Office at Ernest Scheller Jr. College of Business
- Faculty: Anne Pollock
- Staff: Jocelyn Thomas
- Student: Jennifer Salcedo
- Unit: CEED
- Faculty: Mary Frank Fox
- Staff: Shannon Sullivan
- Student: Kendall Rankin
- Unit: School of Physics
- Faculty: Mary Lynn Realff and Stephen Ruffin
- Staff: Madison Cario and Matthew Hall
- Students: W.R. Alexander Berry and Andrea Welsh
- Units: Division of Student Life and School of Mathematics
- Faculty: Carol Colatrella and Gary May
- Staff: Sandy Simpson
- Student: Kate Overstreet
- Unit: CEISMC
- Faculty: Rigoberto Hernandez
- Staff: Keith Oden
- Student: Jiby Yohannen
- Unit: Project ENGAGES