Recipients of Diversity Champion Awards: Accessibility Champions will have demonstrated one or more of the following within the past three years:
- Commitment to accessibility, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Leadership in building an accessible and inclusive campus community.
- Scholarship or work that advances a culture of accessibility and inclusive excellence at Georgia Tech.
- Organized, conducted, and/or supported programs, events, and activities that promote understanding of accessibility issues/challenges and solutions at Tech.
All faculty, staff, students, and organizational units are eligible for this award – except previous recipients of Diversity Champion Awards and Gender Equity Champion Awards.
Nominations are now closed. Honorees will be recognized at the 2020 Diversity Symposium in September.
From 2013 to 2015 and 2017 to 2019, the Diversity Champion Awards recognized faculty, staff, students, and units who actively demonstrated and positively promoted the concepts of diversity, equity, and inclusion at Tech.
In 2016, the Gender Equity Champion Awards were created to serve the same function in recognizing efforts in support of gender diversity, equity, and inclusion — in conjunction with the Eighth Annual Diversity Symposium theme, “Celebrating Women at Georgia Tech.”
Each year, award winners are recognized at the Diversity Symposium Awards Luncheon. They have included:
- Faculty: Maryam Alavi
- Staff: Melanie DeMaeyer
- Student: Cong Luo
- Unit: Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Faculty: Katherine Fu
- Staff: LaJauna Ellis
- Student: William Harrer
- Unit: MBA Programs Office at Ernest Scheller Jr. College of Business
- Faculty: Anne Pollock
- Staff: Jocelyn Thomas
- Student: Jennifer Salcedo
- Unit: CEED
- Faculty: Mary Frank Fox
- Staff: Shannon Sullivan
- Student: Kendall Rankin
- Unit: School of Physics
- Faculty: Mary Lynn Realff and Stephen Ruffin
- Staff: Madison Cario and Matthew Hall
- Students: W.R. Alexander Berry and Andrea Welsh
- Units: Division of Student Life and School of Mathematics
- Faculty: Carol Colatrella and Gary May
- Staff: Sandy Simpson
- Student: Kate Overstreet
- Unit: CEISMC
- Faculty: Rigoberto Hernandez
- Staff: Keith Oden
- Student: Jiby Yohannen
- Unit: Project ENGAGES