Wednesday, September 6, 2017
7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Georgia Tech Global Learning Center and Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
The Ninth Annual Diversity Symposium theme is “Building Inclusive Communities.” This event features a variety of lectures, panels, and workshops that will explore the impact and implications of race and class on individual success and community engagement in higher education institutions.
The Diversity Symposium provides a forum for robust, informed discussions among faculty, staff, and students, focusing on how the Georgia Tech community can support its strategic vision for inclusive excellence. During the event, we hear from diverse perspectives that are committed to making Georgia Tech one of the most highly respected technological research universities renowned for its inclusive environment.
The morning sessions will include an opening keynote from John Quiñones, author, broadcast journalist, and host and creator of What Would You Do?, and workshops on courageous conversations about race, class, and bias. The Diversity Symposium Awards Luncheon will include Diversity Champion Awards and Faces of Inclusive Excellence presentations followed by an artistic performance that addresses issues of race in contemporary society.
On behalf of the Office of the President and Institute Diversity, we invite all members of our campus community to participate and contribute to the Diversity Symposium discussions as we work together to build “One Georgia Tech,” which values and respects every idea and contribution.
- To create a campus climate and culture where diversity is valued and embraced.
- To increase senior-level leadership engagement with faculty, staff, and students about the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) to our future aspirations.
- To provide a forum for creative exchange among institutional leadership, faculty, staff, students, and DEI experts as a way to open the lines of continued conversation.
- G.P. “Bud” Peterson, President, Georgia Tech
- Archie Ervin, Vice President for Institute Diversity, Georgia Tech
- Diversity Symposium Committee
To view the program for the Ninth Annual Diversity Symposium, click here.
To register for the Ninth Annual Diversity Symposium, click here.
To see photos from previous Diversity Symposiums, click here.